SDA Brandmark

melbourne girls' grammar
dining hall and café
2007

The Phelia Grimwade Dining
Hall and T-Bar café at
Melbourne Girls Grammar, is a
conversion of the school's
original 1930's boarders dining
room and surrounding service
areas into an integrated social
area for use by day students,

boarders and the broader school community.

Previously an area which was
disconnected from both the
academic areas of the school
and the adjoining gardens, the
new configuration of dining
hall, servery, commercial
kitchen, café and external
decks, opens into the surrounding campus,

becoming the social hub of the school.

The design of the Phelia
Grimwade Dining Hall and
T-Bar café retains the
architectural and cultural
significance of the original
boarders' dining room whilst
allowing it to be adapted to the
current and future needs of
the school. Through the

balanced insertion of finely
detailed contemporary
elements, a richly layered
assemblage of new and old
is achieved.

sally draper architects

photographer
trevor mein